Over the last decade, Pittsburgh’s tech sector has grown, with researchers and startups alike flocking to the low cost of living and homegrown university talent. But with that growth comes a heightened need for local talent in software engineering and programming.
That’s where coding bootcamps come in. These short-term courses guide students through the skills needed for entry-level software developer positions, and often help connect alumni with employers, too. A great resource for those looking to transition their careers as in-person work slowly resumes, these local course and bootcamp offerings can help their grads achieve significant salary increases and other professional benefits at their new jobs.
Here’s a list of Pittsburgh’s coding bootcamps and workshops for adults and kids alike, as well as local communities and meetups for those interested in tech careers.
Did we miss any? Email email@example.com.
This locally operated bootcamp offers lessons in frontend and backend development, as well as UX, design, and relevant soft skills. The program is currently operating on a remote basis due to the pandemic, but will return to in-person meetings when safe again.
- When: Multiple 12-week cohorts per year
- $$: $10,000 or a 10% post-program income share agreement
The Pittsburgh chapter of this multi-campus coding bootcamp currently offers a remote program covering programming and frontend frameworks aimed to prepare students for software developer positions. In-person bootcamps are planned for fall 2021 and spring 2022.
- When: 14-week sessions hosted each fall and spring
- $$: $15,950 with scholarships, grants and income share agreements available
The Pittsburgh location of this national bootcamp network offers both part-time and full-time online course options in software engineering, UX design, data analytics and programming. GA also offers short-term workshops and on-demand learning for those who want a less time-intensive commitment.
- When: Several cohorts offered each year for all courses
- $$: $14,950-$15,950 for full-time courses, with income share agreements available
This Lawrenceville-based bootcamp launched in 2018 offers live weekly instruction in courses covering subjects like user interface toolkits, web development and Python. Upstream’s Web Foundations courses are all free, while more rigorous courses have a fee.
- When: Live weekly meetings for each course
- $$: $599-$1,199 per course, with some membership discounts
This online classroom offers multiple daily webinars in UX design, data analytics, app building and programming, along with others focused on professional skill development. Thinkful also hosts full-scaled bootcamps in other markets.
- When: Multiple webinars offered daily
- $$: Free
This meetup group offers both a community for those interested in tech careers and opportunities to develop basic coding skills through workshops. All skill levels are welcome to participate. This meetup is hosted by Tech Elevator.
- When: Event postings updated regularly on Meetup.com
- $$: Free
The local outpost of a national IT training network launched in February 2021 in partnership with TEKsystems. It offers two courses: end user desktop support CompTIA training, and full-stack Java developer training. Both are remote for the foreseeable future.
- When: IT program’s next cohort starts in June, while the next full-stack program is TBD
- $$: Free
This local nonprofit offers introductory coding lessons for K-12 students through partnerships with schools and community organizations, covering coding, robotics, animation and AI.
- When: In-school or after-school programs offered depending on organizational partnership
- $$: Free or low-cost