We are looking to recruit a Scientific Software Developer to join our growing development team at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory – The majority of the code is C++, with a growing element in Python, so this role is suited to someone who already has experience with the C++ language or has experience of a similar language (such as Java or C#) and is willing and able to quickly learn C++.
About this opportunity:
We are seeking a Scientific Software Developer with strong object-oriented programming language skills.
- You need to be able to work with other members of the team to design and craft solutions that work and that our customers can easily use
- You will be expected to use agile tools and techniques to play a full part in all aspects of the software development lifecycle and steer as appropriate
- You will be expected to communicate with scientists to obtain requirements for extending existing packages further according to their scientific.
- You will need to be able to make sound technical choices based on a broad experience to guide our development of systems
- You will also be involved in DevOps and supporting new and existing systems
- You will be expected to use Continuous Integration tools to manage the development and deployment of our solutions.
To be considered for this role, you’ll possess a degree or have equivalent experience in computer science, software engineering, or strongly related STEM subject with significant software development experience.
You will also have sound understanding of object-oriented analysis, design, and experience developing using object-oriented programming techniques and testing frameworks.
Good verbal and written communications skills are essential, as you’ll be expected to explain technical concepts effectively.
Experience using C++ or Python for software development, of development on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS), of GUI development using Qt or of unit and system testing would be advantageous but is not essential.
Please visit our job board for full job specification.
We are offering a permanent position that provide a whole host of family friendly benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance.
How to apply:
In your application, please provide your CV and a cover letter which showcases your skills and experience in relation to the criteria we have set for this role. Closing Date is 19th September 2021.
Equal opportunities employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.